Basic HIV Counseling – 4-25 September 2023
Course Duration: 3 weeks
Delivery Mode: Online
Eligibility: Health workers and organisational staff working in the HIV/AIDS field
Course Availability: Upcoming
Course Fee: UGX 800,000, USD 135
Counselling in HIV/AIDS is an important element of HIV care. It deals with the psychological needs of the individuals with HIV. This course is designed to enhance the knowledge, attitudes and skills of health workers to identify, prepare and support HIV positive individuals to prevent HIV transmission and provide on-going support to the HIV infected.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Define counselling.
- Identify goals of HIV/AIDS counselling
- Explain qualities and basic skills of an effective counsellor
- Explain importance of confidentiality.
- Explain essential concepts of HIV counseling.
- Describe the HIV Counsellor’s roles and tasks.
- Identify the stages of counselling process and corresponding skills.
- Practice counselling skills.
- Describe steps in the behavior change process.
- Facts about HIV/AIDS.
- Goals of HIV/AIDS counselling.
- Behaviour change.
- Basic counselling skills.
- Stages of counselling process.
- Essential counselling concepts.
- Exploring value-loaded statements.
- Qualities of an effective counsellor.
- HIV/AIDS confidentiality guidelines.
- Counsellor’s personal resources.
- Care, coping and social support at the workplace.
- Psychological issues.
- Crisis counselling.
- Bereavement counselling.
- MoH reporting tools.
This course is designed for all staff working with HIV/AIDS service organizations including:
- Social workers.
- Outreach workers.
This is a session course with illustrative PowerPoint sessions, videos, live tutorials and discussions.